A favor for a good friend…Sauteed Saltfish

saltfish2I have a friend visiting from out of town and she had one simple request  and that was to make her Saltfish.   This is a very West Indian dish and it is usually served either with rice and dhal or bake.  Bake is a fry bread that is a popular breakfast item in the Caribbean.  Today I will not be making rice or bake…she will provide that part of the meal.  This is a very simple and quick meal to make and it is a meal every aest Indian always have a craving for.  Just the mere mention of Bake and Saltfish causes jealously of those who aren’t here to eat it.  So today I will be the object of everyone’s envy. saltfishsaltfish3

1. March 15, 2009 / 5:31 pm

Saltfish is one of my favorite meals especially when combined with ackee, that’s what we eat in Jamaica. Breadfruit, bammy, and fried dumplings are usually made with it.

I think I will make some this week, thanks for sharing!

2. March 15, 2009 / 5:31 pm

I think I will make some this week, thanks for sharing!

3. March 15, 2009 / 5:31 pm

I think I will make some this week, thanks for sharing!

4. March 15, 2009 / 5:31 pm

I think I will make some this week, thanks for sharing!

5. Yasmin
    July 21, 2010 / 11:36 am

Your recipes looks great I can’t wait to try them.

6. Malisa.Matthews
    January 7, 2012 / 4:58 pm

Jehan, this is the third item from your site I made today. Three meals in one day, YAY! I was very proud of myself because i dont usually cook. The salt fish was amazing. i made it this morning with your recipe for Bake. Then a hour ago, i made the Dhal, whicH I ate with Saltfish and brown rice. Delicious. Thanks so much for posting!

7. christine
    August 5, 2012 / 5:36 pm

Hi jehan I will have to try your way of frying up salt fish it looks delicious kindly do a recipe for home made bread thank you

8. island gyal
    January 1, 2013 / 6:33 am

I have to say, “Guyanese style of making this dish is by far the best I have ever had”! Growing up on my island where many Guyanese migrated,I had the pleasure of this wonderful dish at my best friend’ s house/neighbor who’ s mother is Guyanese and would cook it especially for me! You broth back such good memories, Thank you!