Delicious Rice and Cheese Loaf

cheeseloaf1Growing up this dish was a part of our special Sunday Dinner.  Its cooked rice mixed with a cheesey sauce and baked until bubbly and golden brown.  It’s our version of Mac and Cheese but instead of pasta we use rice.  Rice is a staple in our diet,  our meals usually includes rice as our main starch.   Those of you who love mac and cheese will love this twist on the old classic, eventhough this dish is my classic.  Cheese and Rice with fresh herbs…how can this not be tasty?  Bon appetit!

Rice and Cheese Loaf

5 cups cooked rice

3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

2 tbsp butter

1/4 cup flour

1/2 medium onion chopped

1 1/2 cup milk

2 scallion chopped

2 whole garlic crushed

1 tbsp mustard

1/2 tsp pepper

1 egg

paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt butter over a low fire and add flour, stir  until combined.  Whisk in milk.  Add shredded cheese, onions, chopped scallion, garlic, mustard, salt, pepper and salt.  Cook until well combined.  Beat the egg and slowly add 1/2 cup of cheese mixture to beaten egg.  Add to the rest of cheese  mixture.

Mix cheese sauce with rice  and pour into a buttered casserole dish.  Sprinkle paparika over the top and  bake for 35 mins.cheeseloafcheeseloaf2

1. July 27, 2009 / 5:40 am

Looks absolutely delicious! I will try this recipe soon; well done

2. August 1, 2009 / 5:27 am

Rice and cheese. I would never think to put them together. But there’s always a first time.

3. TashieCoo
    December 11, 2009 / 10:08 am

OH Jehan…I stumbled onto your site while looking for an Egg Ball recipe and boy and I ever so glad! Love Love Love your site. I too will be starting a food blog and will be keeping in touch. Love your site.

4. TashieCoo
    December 11, 2009 / 10:09 am

BTW….I grew up in GT and dont ever recall having this cheesy rice but I love cheese and I love rice so I will try it.

December 11, 2009 / 10:11 am

I grew up eating rice and cheese loaf and was really surprised to that alot of Guyanese weren’t familiar with the recipe. I thought it was a good recipe to share because everybody that tries it loves it.

6. Shirool
    April 18, 2010 / 5:31 am

Hi, looks nice! Never eaten this before. Will have to try it out!

7. Yasmin
    December 10, 2010 / 1:45 pm

I also grew up in GT and never had rice and cheese loaf. I made it for my office Christmas Party today and it was a big hit, the first thing to go. Happy Holidays to you and your family. Thanks Jehan

8. Nadia
    March 14, 2011 / 2:07 pm

hi- i dont rem growing up eating this dish either.. BUT one afternoon, my cousin and i were really bored and hungry. all we had in the fridge was leftover cooked white rice, lots of cheddar cheese, and milk. so we decdied to mix it all together (we mixed the rice with carnation milk, cheddar cheese, scallions, seasonings, and baked it until golden). it came out soo delicious… we thought we invited the recipe haha. but coming across your recipe just made me happy to know that we are not the only ones eating cheesy rice!! your recipe looks delicious… will definitely try it soon. thanks for sharing.

9. kama
    January 15, 2012 / 6:45 am

i’ve never heard of this one. and i’m so guyanese that i have to go home at least once a year. but it looks good and in keeping with my motto, when it comes to food, i will try anything once.

10. mike
    July 19, 2012 / 3:47 pm

Really want to try your recipe but I’m no cook. You don’t mention the amount of salt. Also, you mention 2 garlic. Do you mean cloves or bulbs. Two bulbs seem a lot but, as I said, I’m no cook. Thanks.

mike

July 21, 2012 / 3:28 pm

Hi Mike, I didn’t use salt in this recipe as the cheese will add salt to the dish and I meant 2 cloves garlic. Yes two bulbs would be a wee bit too much lol. Thanks for stopping by and hope I’ve answered your questions.

12. mike
    July 24, 2012 / 2:29 pm

Thanks Honey,

The text mentions “mustard, salt, pepper and salt.” You did answer my questions and I really appreciate you getting back to me. Just got some home grown garlic from a relative that lives in the ‘sticks’ and am anxious to try it. Thanks again and take care.

mike

13. Cella
    August 23, 2012 / 6:13 pm

Hi,

I now stumble on your website. I saw the rice and cheese loaf and had to try. I hope my boyfriend likes it. Right now the loaf is in the oven

14. March 25, 2013 / 12:30 pm

hi Jehan i was glad to find all your recipes im happy to start trying them cause im tired of thinking what next to cook

15. jaye
    July 12, 2013 / 1:34 am

I’m sooo glad i found this recipe. i had this cheesy rice a few years back at a family party;my aunty made it shes married to a guyanese man.

16. roy peters
    November 28, 2013 / 5:53 pm

hi fancy cook, I am thankful to be able to find this recipe because I was planning to cook this meal but could not put my hand on my copy. Oh how I remember those days we enjoyed this meal especially at Christmas. I also miss your mom’s baked honey glazed ham.Continue to have fun doing what u love so much.

17. January 8, 2015 / 3:58 pm