Veggie Chowmein

I had to make a meal in a hurry this morning.  I instantly thought of vegetable chowmein.   It’s quick meal that’s a favorite of mine.   Guyana has a large Chinese population and their dishes are a part of our cuisine.   Fried rice, chowmein and char siu pork are take out dishes I enjoyed as a child growing up in Guyana.

The number one  request  of Guyanese who have emigrated to friends who are traveling to Guyana is to bring back some Chinese food.   We all have that craving imbedded in us.  I usually have a pack or two of chowmein in my pantry to combat the cravings.

Vegetable Chowmein

12 oz Chowmein noodles

1 cup shredded cabbage

1 cup shredded carrots

3 scallion, finely chopped

3 tbsp soy sauce

3 tbsp oyster sauce

1 1/2 tbsp fresh ground ginger

1/2 tsp chinese five spice powder

2 tsp sesame oil

1 tbsp canola oil

Cook noodles according to directions on the package.  Place in a large bowl.  Add soy sauce, oyster sauce and five spice to noodles.  Mix until evenly distributed.

In a wok over medium fire, heat sesame and canola oil.   Add ginger, cook for 1 minute. Now add carrots and cabbage; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.   Add noodles  to pot and mix well, cook for an additional minute.  Remove from heat and sprinkle with chopped scallion.

1. January 17, 2012 / 11:04 am

This looks delicious and quick! I have been craving Asian style noodles for some time and looking at this is making that craving even worse. I know what I’ll be making for dinner.

2. January 17, 2012 / 1:01 pm

I’ve never made chowmein. I so should. Thanks for the reminder, this looks awesome!

3. Susan
    March 24, 2012 / 7:03 pm

Thanks for the post and the visual… am almost to tears not being able to have a bowl of your delicious chowmein. Am sure it tasted as good as it looks. I want to ask what brand noodles did you use? I live in Houston, Texas and can hardly find Guyana type ingredients.

March 25, 2012 / 3:24 pm

Hi Susan, I use Brown Betty chowmein noodles.

5. Judy
    May 28, 2014 / 2:32 pm

Hi Jehan, this Veggie Chowmein recipe calls for ‘fresh ground ginger’. Do you mean fresh (grated or minced) ginger or ground powder ginger? Thanks for another fine recipe.

May 28, 2014 / 2:34 pm

Hi Judy, sorry about the confusion. I meant freshly grated ginger.

7. Tiffany
    June 4, 2014 / 1:07 pm

Hi Jehan. I tried this recipe out yesterday. i didnt have oyster sauce on hand but even with the soy sauce measurements it came out much darker than your dish. Any suggestions or tips on whether i should lessen the amount of sauce?

June 7, 2014 / 3:14 pm

Tiffany how did it taste? The color doesn’t matter so much as the taste does. Different soy sauces produce a different color. Some are very dark sense a darker color.

9. Amanda
    March 15, 2015 / 6:23 pm

Hi Jehan! I made the veggie chow mein and it all tasted like licorice. The culprit was definitely the oyster sauce. Any suggestions?

March 18, 2015 / 3:25 pm

Amanda, the licorice flavor comes from the 5 spice powder as fennel is one of the ingredients. If your are sensitive to licorice, just eliminate the 5 spice.

11. Kim
    September 25, 2016 / 7:41 pm

Hi Jehan! I made this recipe and it came out great. I just added green peppers. Thanks for sharing!

October 11, 2016 / 10:04 am

Awesome Kim, thanks for the feedback!