Jerk

It happens to all of us at one time or another, and by us I mean bloggers.   You’re have a great recipe or topic but have no idea where to start when writing the post.   It’s not that I don’t love Jerk chicken, but the truth is I’ve been sitting in front of this computer screen all day trying to write.   Is it what I like to call bloggers block?  Do I have this great story waiting to be published or is there nothing at all?

Whatever the reason, it is late in the day and my bed beckons but I must produce something if I’m to push that button and have this published by morning.  I have many recipes sitting in queue because I just didn’t know what to say.   I’ve read that blogging means writing even when there is nothing to write.

So this is my attempt…

When I thought of writing a story about jerk, I had a few ideas.   The first was to ask a few Jamaicans about what they know about the history of Jerk, but time didn’t permit.    Then I thought about speaking about a local jerk spot, and I say spot because they grill in an empty parking lot.   Then… well let’s just say that there were more ideas but I just scrapped them all.

Jerk which hails from the island of Jamaica, is a method of cooking meat which was a way of preserving meat when there was no refrigeration.   The meat is marinated in a mixture that consists mainly of pimento, thyme and scotch bonnet pepper.  Real jerk is grilled and since I live with a Jamaican I have no choice.   I have baked jerk in the past but grilling takes it to another level.   I’ve experimented quite a bit in the past and I’ve come to realize that there has to be lots of pimento in the seasoning mix for that authentic jerk flavor.    So enjoy; this recipe received two thumbs up from the resident Jamaican.

Jerk Seasoning

3 tbsp Pimento

6 cloves garlic, crushed

4 scotch bonnet pepper

11 whole scallions chopped

2 tbsp salt

Juice of 1 lemon

½ tsp nutmeg

2 tbsp sugar

2 tbsp thyme leaves

1 medium onion, chopped

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix until it’s a fine paste.   You can also grind all the ingredients in a mortar and pestle.

Add 2 heaping spoonfuls of jerk season to 3 lbs of chicken. Marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Grill until cooked; serve warm.  This can also be baked in the oven but real jerk is grilled.

Notes

• This marinade can be used on other meat such as pork.
  • Adjust the scotch bonnet according to your tastes.  I used 4 peppers because I don’t like my food to be blistering hot, but if you’re that person feel free to add more.
  • This marinade makes about 1 cup of jerk seasoning.   Don’t use it all at once unless you’re cooking for a mini army.  I used 2 heaping spoonfuls for 3 lbs of chicken wings.

1. February 16, 2012 / 9:33 pm

You’ve come up with a good story. Blogger’s block do happens sometimes. This looks delicious =)

2. Bibi
    February 17, 2012 / 9:43 am

Looking forward to trying this jerk recipe. I’ve thought about making it beforehand, how long will the jerk seasoning stay in the refridgerator?

February 17, 2012 / 10:16 am

Bibi, I can’t give you an exact time, but I’m pretty sure it will last at least 2 weeks since it’s a seasoning mix and they usually last quite some time.

4. February 17, 2012 / 12:59 pm

This looks so damn good!

5. Bibi
    February 17, 2012 / 1:28 pm

Great thanks!

6. February 24, 2012 / 7:27 am

Have you ever tried any restaurants here in South Florida…??? I just bought a groupon for Jerk Machine in Ft. Lauderdale 🙂

February 24, 2012 / 7:50 am

No I have not but I’ve heard there are great Caribbean restaurants in Florida.

8. avin
    March 6, 2012 / 12:50 pm

Looks Great! How long should I let it marinate for? or can I just grill right after I finish seasoning?

March 6, 2012 / 1:11 pm

Thanks! Marinate for at least 4 hours but it would be best if you can do it overnight.

10. May 2, 2012 / 8:15 pm

Jerk season can be used as an alternative to pepper sauce. I’ve used it on eggs, hot dogs and even cheese.

I’ve been looking for recipe like this one for the grill. I hope to try it this weekend.

ps, nice photos. I like.

11. Neil
    May 21, 2012 / 3:37 pm

Jehan! I just made this seasoning and my version came out green? Did I miss something? What makes it brown? Was cinnamon supposed to be added? Thanks!

May 21, 2012 / 3:43 pm

Neil the addition of pimento is what makes it dark. I used Jamaican pimento and not the regular pimento from the supermarket. The Jamaican pimento is a tad bit darker so this might affect the color.

13. Neil
    May 21, 2012 / 8:56 pm

Ohh Jehan… you can tell I’m still a “newbie” when it comes to the kitchen! I used pimento peppers as opposed to pimento (all spice)! ::sarcatic:: Awesome. The concoction I made looks like green seasoning! 😉 Well, I made a batch so guess I’ll see how this comes out with the pimento peppers. Who knows, maybe I invented something new! Thanks for your help Jehan! I LOVE your site! Keep it up!

May 22, 2012 / 8:09 am

Haha Neil, well that would explain it all! Let me know how that addition turned out.

15. Jasmin
    June 23, 2014 / 8:11 am

I made this today, but its not as dark as your’s. Can i still used it ?

June 26, 2014 / 5:38 pm

Jasmin it is probably not as dark because of the difference in color of the pimento. Once it tastes like jerk then the color is fine.

17. Hanna
    March 24, 2015 / 8:31 pm

Came across your website today. And I can say I am officially obsessed. How obsessed you ask? Well I made your jerk seasoning adding cinnamon and ginger and marinating some chicken right now to grill tomorrow. Yay! And now I’m going to tackle your carrot juice. How awesome is it I had a bag of carrots in the fridge just waiting to be used. (All Jamaicans have condensed milk in their pantry ;). Can’t wait to try your other recipes.

March 25, 2015 / 9:06 am

Hanna that’s awesome! I hope you approve of my Jamaican recipes!