CARIBBEAN RICE AND PEAS

Is it rice and peas or peas and rice??  That’s the life long debate between Guyanese and the Jamaicans and Trinidadians.  I say, who cares?  Potato…Potahto. Rice is a main part of Caribbean food.  It’s usually Rice with______ for lunch or dinner.  After 30 years on this earth and eating rice almost every day, I have yet to grow tired of eating it.   Even though I don’t need to eat rice every day, a few members of my family will throw mini hissy fits if rice isn’t present. Peas and rice is usually served with some type of stew such as oxtail or brown stewed chicken.   The combination is fricking awesome!   I will be making jerk chicken wings to serve with this and a side salad.  Lunch will be great!!

1. February 14, 2012 / 10:47 pm

I am a rice person… this recipe would definitely be in my list =)

2. Priscilla M
    February 14, 2012 / 11:34 pm

I love beans in my rice. This sounds delicious.

3. pds
    February 16, 2012 / 10:18 pm

This looks like what my mom called “cook up”. I hated it growing up, but it looks delicious here! (I think she made it with black eyed peas.)

4. Toni
    September 27, 2012 / 5:38 pm

Hi Jehan- does it matter what type of long grain rice you use for this dish? I used a Jasmine brand and the results were nothing like yours! especially the color! I’m so disappointed in my first try on this!:( Help!

5. Toni
    September 27, 2012 / 5:39 pm

oh also does is matter if the beans are from the can?

Author
    September 27, 2012 / 7:25 pm

Jasmine rice would work just fine in this dish, however I used uncooked/uncanned beans. The color of the dish comes from the liquid that the beans was boiled in, you will not achieve this color if you use canned peas.

7. Toni
    September 30, 2012 / 10:55 am

ok thanks sooo much that helps to know:) keep up the good work your dishes look awesome and tasty! Blessings to you and your family

Author
    September 30, 2012 / 2:53 pm

Thanks Toni.

9. Samantha V
    March 31, 2013 / 10:56 am

Hey there! I have been following you ever since I stumbled on your post. I am Indo-Guyanese now living in NE Atlanta with a very important question for you: Where are you getting your wiri-wiri peppers from here?
    I know it seems silly but I’m very curious, please help if you can!…………..Btw, your cooking and recipes are awesome!
    Thanks again!

Author
    April 1, 2013 / 5:48 am

Hi Samantha, there’s a Guyanese store on Covington Highway in Decatur that sometimes carry Wiri wiri pepper. Here’s a post that I wrote featuring Georgetown Food Market and here’s the contact info:

Georgetown Food Market
    4055 Covington Highway
    Decatur, Ga 30032

11. August 7, 2014 / 8:13 am

Lets see, I’m going to try this for my grandpas birthday. I always mess this rice up each time. So I’m hoping this works out for me. Looks so good.

12. Veronica
    February 12, 2016 / 3:08 pm

I apologize if this is somewhere else on your website, but the recipe says 1 bouillon. Is this a cube of chicken bouillon, beef bouillon? Thanks in advance.

Author
    February 13, 2016 / 5:44 pm

Veronica unless it’s a beef dish, it’s a chicken bouillon.

14. Veronica
    February 15, 2016 / 6:06 pm

Thanks so much for getting back to me, Jehan! I want to make it for my family on Saturday–so this is right on time.

15. Henry
    March 5, 2016 / 8:25 am

I’m from St.Kitts in the Eastern Caribbean which means I’m a Kittitian and there it’s officially called “Rice & Peas”. I can’t argue with that because by my logic there are far more Rice represented than Peas. Great recipe though.