Here’s a quick recipe that I’ve been experimenting with for quite some time. I’m a huge cheese fanatic and at any given moment have at least 5 different types of cheeses in my refrigerator so when a recipe’s name starts with cheese I expect to be knocked over with every bite! Scones aren’t difficult to make but whenever I’ve made them, I just didn’t find then cheesy enough so the next time I add a bit more cheese.
Well I think I’ve finally found the perfect recipe that has enough cheesy flavor for a cheese lover like myself. These are soft and buttery with just nice peppery kick from the hot pepper. These are great on their own or with a nice bowl of soup, either way you can’t go wrong.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp butter, cold
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper, finely minced ( wiri wiri or scotch bonnet)
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tsp water for basting
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place flour, baking powder, mustard powder and salt in a large bowl or food processor.
- If using food processor, add cold butter and pulse a few times unitl it resembles fine cornmeal. If you don’t have a food processor, use your hands to rub butter into flour.
- Next, all cheese, pepper and mix well to distribute evenly.
- Next add milk and stir just until mixture comes together.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and press the dough until about 1 inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter(a glass will do the trick also), cut then place onto ungreased baking pan.
- Mix egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water then brush tops of scones.
- Place in oven and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Cool before serving.
Dough will be a bit sticky.