Coconut Sweet Bread
Coconut Sweet Bread is loaded with goodies such as raisins, candied cherries and coconut. It’s a perfect treat that’s addictive but not too sweet. It’s a new year – yes I’m one month late, and I’ve decided to make a few changes and shift my focus a bit. From the inception of this blog, back when it was a little baby that resided over on blogger and I had all but 6 readers (my family), I’ve been creating recipes to share with you all. It can be a daunting task at times when recipe after recipe seem to fail in the testing, or trying to convert a verbal description of a dish into an actual recipe. I’ve pushed through it all because I love doing this and because I love my readers (you). In the past few months I’ve embarked on a new journey by starting a YouTube Channel and creating step by step videos of my recipes and it’s been a whole new world. It’s both exciting and challenging since I’ve been trying to find a balance between making videos, creating new recipes and posting new blog posts twice a week – throw in a 6 week old and it’s safe to say I’ve got my hands pretty full. While I work from home, I still have to maintain a delicate balance between my internet life and my real life because after all I am a wife and mom of two first and foremost. Now I’ve said all of this to bring you to the point of this post. Over the next year I will [mostly] take a break from recipe creating and will start a cook-the-book series! I have a small collection of Guyanese and Caribbean cookbooks that I’ve picked up overseas and will cook a few recipes weekly and will share it with you. This gives me time to continue creating quality video for my YouTube Channel, share new and hard to find recipes here on the blog, finally work on a cookbook (crosses fingers) and without neglecting anything in my day to day life. So here’s what to expect:
- New videos on my YouTube Channel every Tuesday (click here to subscribe)
- New posts 1-3 times weekly
- Exciting and sometimes hard to find recipes from my collection of cookbooks
Get the Recipe COCONUT SWEET BREAD
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup margarine
- 1 ¼ cup grated coconut
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cherries, finely chopped
- ¼ cup mixed citrus peel, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp mace
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup raisins* I left this out because I’m not a huge fan of raisins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add flour and baking powder to a small bowl.
- Add margarine, coconut, sugar, cherries, citrus peel, raisins (if using), mace and cinnamon and mix well.
- Combine egg, vanilla and milk in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add to dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour batter into a greased pan lined with parchment paper and place into preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a small bowl combine 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of water and brush over the top. Return to oven for3-4 minutes.