Chicken Foot Soup
When my husband asked for Chicken Foot Soup he was very specific – he wanted his mother’s soup. I wasn’t offended, I’m a good cook but I know the connection between food and memories and nothing can compete with that. He clearly had fond memories of his mom’s soup so I called her up and asked how she made her chicken foot soup. I was glad that I decided to call her rather than make it on my own because my soup would have been a bit different and he would have been disappointed. She gave me clear instructions and I followed them, it’s safe to say this is her chicken foot soup recipe and not my own. This chicken foot soup is a Jamaican version and is full of goodness. There’s chayote, pumpkin, potatoes and a savory chicken noodle soup; lots of garlic, thyme and pepper gives it a clearly Caribbean flavor and Jamaican spinners (firm dumplings) are the icing on the cake. I’m not a huge chicken foot fan and I enjoyed this soup!
Get the Recipe CHICKEN FOOT SOUP
- 1 lb chicken foot, toenails removed
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 1 hot pepper, wiri wiri pepper, scotch bonnet
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp oil
- 1 small chayote, chopped
- 1 small Idaho potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin
- 1 chicken flavored soup mix with noodles, I used Grace brand
- Pinch black pepper
- 10 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup water
- Place oil in a large pot, when oil is hot sauté thyme, pepper, garlic and thyme for just about a minute. Add chicken foot and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Cook for 30 minutes then add chayote, potato, scallion, pumpkin, chicken soup mix and black pepper. Cover and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- To make spinners place flour, salt and water in a bowl and mix to form a stiff dough then pinch off small pieces of dough and roll between palms to form an elongated spinner.
- Add spinners to soup, then cook for an additional 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Serve warm.