Lamb And Zucchini Curry
Lamb and Zucchini curry has become one of our favorite types of curry and ironically it’s not cooked the way we Guyanese would traditionally cook our curry. Guyanese curry typically is started with a paste which is fried in oil, but my Lamb and Zucchini curry does not start with a paste. If you take a look at my Goat Curry and Duck Curry you will see that both are made with a curry paste that has curry powder and various spices and aromatics which is then fried until the paste develops a rich, dark color. This recipe, I skipped that step, which is a big fat no no when it comes to Guyanese curry, but hey I’m a rebel! I guess, in a sense, it’s closer to the way Jamaican curry is made when it comes to technique but as far as spices are concerned it’s similar to what we make.
To start I coat chunks of lamb with oil, curry powder, geera and garam masala. I then allow it to fry until it’s formed a crust on all sides, which seals in a ton of flavor. From there on out you just add the remaining of ingredients and let it simmer. I cook the zucchini until it’s melted into the stew; this not only thickens the sauce while enhancing the flavor but it’s also an effective way to hide the zucchini from my son. So as the stew simmers, the lamb cooks until its tender- this cut of meat, lamb shoulder chops, never becomes tough and as is tender in about 30 minutes of cooking time.
Since I first made this lamb and zucchini curry it’s been on repeat – it was even requested by my husband as one of the meals that I made while I was away in Israel (a recap is coming soon). Food is meant to be explored and I’m glad that I stepped out of the box and to make my curry in a nontraditional way. I served this with rice, paratha roti as well as potato roti and it was a hit every time!
Get the Recipe LAMB AND ZUCCHINI CURRY
- 2 lbs lamb cut into chunks, I used lamb shoulder chops
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp geera, cumin
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 2 zucchini, chopped into small pieces
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 cups water
- Place lamb in a bowl and coat with 2 tsp oil, curry powder, geera and garam masala.
- On a pan over medium high heat, add oil. When oil is hot, add lamb so it forms one layer in the pot.
- Allow chunks lamb to brown on all sides by turning while cooking. When all sides of the lamb is brown, add zucchini, onion, salt, black pepper and garlic and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Next add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer until the lamb is tender and the zucchini has melted into the stew about 20 minues. Remove from heat.
- Serve warm with rice or roti.
Love this recipe. I already taken out lamb from my freezer. Adding the zucchini in the pressure cooker with the lamb is going to be on point!
This is right up my alley! Seems a lot quicker than traditional curry. I need to get my hands on some lamb so I can try this out. Beautiful dish, and gorgeous photos!
Shelly it is quicker! I hope you do get to give it a try.
I made this for my family and followed your recipe exactly! It was out of this world delicious. I soaked the lamb shoulder in lemon juice before seasoning to get out that “rank” taste. Thanks for the amazing recipe!
You’re welcome Nadiya, I’m happy to hear you all enjoyed it!
Great site, I’ll be visiting it regularly. Do you like allspice in your favorite curry powder.
Joe, I haven’t used that as yet. May have to give it a try.