Jeweled Rice With Cranberry And Almonds
Jeweled Rice with Cranberries and Almond is the perfect holiday side dish. Packed with crunchy nuts, tart cranberries and a hint of orange, this jeweled rice has all the flavors of the holiday wrapped up in one bite.
Happy November, it’s officially Thanksgiving season and it’s time to start planning your holiday menu. It’s not too early to start because when trying new recipes it’s best to test them out before the big day. Do you find yourself making the same dishes year after year? All month long I will be sharing a ton of holiday recipes that will help you conquer thanksgiving this year. I will show you classic dishes with a twist like Chipotle Whipped Sweet Potatoes, Collard Greens with Coconut Milk and Orange Herb Dry Brine that perfect for turkey or chicken.
Side dishes can be a bit challenging but my Jeweled Rice with Cranberry and Almonds is the perfect side dish. I’ve been making this rice for years and it’s still a favorite of mine and I’ve shared it before on the blog but decided to update it a bit. Packed with crunchy nuts, tart cranberries and a hint of orange, this jeweled rice has all the flavors of the holiday wrapped up in one bite.
When deciding what thanksgiving sides to serve, start by thinking about how easy the dish is to make. You don’t want any dishes that are too complicated because most likely you will be preparing multiple dishes at one. The turkey is the star of the table and usually requires a little more attention, so be sure to pick dishes that are easy and try to add some that can be made ahead. Rice dishes are always great because they can be made a day in advance. This rice can be made a day ahead; simply add the cranberry, slivered almond and garnish when ready to serve! Your guests will love this jeweled rice and the best part is, you didn’t have to break a sweat to make it. I will be adding new all the way through thanksgiving so be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest to keep up.
Get the Recipe Jeweled Rice with cranberries and almonds
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp crushed garlic
- 2 cups long grained white rice
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- 1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a pan large enough to hold the rice over a medium fire, heat oil. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes then add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds.
- Add rice, ginger,red pepper flakes and orange zest and cook for about 3 minutes stirring frequently. Add chicken stock and salt; stir to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom. Bring to a boil then lower the heat to simmer then cover pot.
- Cook until rice is tender but not mushy, for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped cranberries and almonds or your choice of dried fruit and nut combination. Garnish with finely chopped parley.