How To Make The Best Slow Cooker Beans
Beans are a pantry staple and I always have both canned and dried on hand. My slow cooker beans are the best and I love how easy it is to throw together. I love that they are versatile, you can use them in soups, salads and stews and provide a great source of protein. I usually make this when I know that I the next day will be busy and I probably don’t have time to get into the kitchen. I simply toss everything into my slow cooker the night before and in the morning I’m greeted with the most amazing aroma! The slow cooker beans is packed with flavor because the smoked turkey releases all that rich flavor during the cooking process and the beans just soak it up!
Here’s all you need to know on HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SLOW COOKER BEANS:
- This dish is made with dried beans
- No pre soaking of the beans required
- Pinto, Kidney or any of your favorite beans can be used
- Smoked meat such as smoked turkey wings, neck or pig tails can be used
- No salt needed since the smoked meat releases salt during the cooking process which provides enough salt for the dish.
This time around I used smoked turkey necks because I couldn’t find the smoked wings. By the way, don’t sleep on turkey necks, it has a ton of meat and make a great Browned Turkey Neck Stew. I like to use the wings because it’s meaty. I usually shred the meat, bones and skin are tossed, and the shredded meat is added back to the slow cooker beans. This is one seriously unassumingly delicious meal. It’s a huge favorite in our household – even my picky 7 year old cleans his plate without a single complaint! I usually serve it up with – you guess it, rice!
Get the Recipe SLOW COOKER BEANS
- 1 cup pinto beans
- 1 lb smoked turkey neck or wing
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 ½ tsp Creole seasoning
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 4- 4 1/2 cups water or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- Rinse beans with cool water and discard any bad beans. Drain beans, then place into slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients to the slow cooker and cover.
- Cook on low for 10 hours.
- Discard bay leaf and stems. If using turkey wings, remove and shred using two forks. Discard skin and bones and add shredded meat back to the beans.
- Serve warm over rice.