Cabbage And Chicken
I’ve been going back to basics lately and cooking dishes that I grew up eating like Chicken and Cabbage. Meat stewed with some type of vegetable served over rice was the formula for most of the meals I ate growing up in a Guyanese household. These were easy and nutritious meals that were commonly prepared during the week, the more complex dishes like Metemgee, Fried Rice or Cook-up Rice was saved for the weekends.
Now that I have my own household I can see why it was the popular choice. These meals were usually quick to cook, but provided a well rounded meal with vegetable, protein and carbs to keep us going. I’m busy on most days between my own personal endeavors and the task of keeping on top of all things house and home and my children’s schedule so quick and easy dishes like Cabbage and Chicken is always a winner.
Turns out cabbage is one of my husband’s favorite dishes so when I make meals like this or my Cabbage and Saltfish, he’s one happy man. I used chicken thighs which I cut into small pieces so that it can cook quickly but you can substitute with boneless thighs. I wouldn’t recommend chicken breast because it has a tendency to dry out. I served this over rice to make a complete meal.
Scroll down for video and recipe
Get the Recipe CABBAGE AND CHICKEN
- 4 chicken thighs, skin removed and chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 wiri wiri pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- In a bowl, season chicken with thyme, garlic, pepper, salt, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Mix to combine. This can be seasoned the night before.
- In pot over high heat add oil. When oil is hot, add seasoned chicken and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion and tomatoes and cook for about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, then add cabbage.
- Cook cabbage covered on medium for about 8-10 minutes until it has wilted and the liquid has reduced.
- Remove from heat and serve warm over rice.