I receive a lot of messages on my Instagram from other women asking me how is it possible for me to cook the meals that I do on a daily basis. Some allude to the fact that I must be superwoman to run a blog, YouTube channel, raise 2 boys, exercise and still cook almost daily. Well the first thing is I share food for a living so I am always in the kitchen. Secondly I have a ton of meals that take 30-60 minutes to prepare, like Lamb Chowmein, which I make during the week. While it may seem that I spend a ton of time preparing meals, in reality I really don’t.
I usually cook enough for 2 days worth of meals and I cook early in the mornings on the days that I’m not going to the gym. I can have this lamb chowmein ready in less than 30 minutes and make my family very happy in the process. What I love about dishes like these are the easy and has everything – meat, vegetables and carbs are all in one pot!
Scroll down for video and recipe
Using ground lamb for the chowmein cuts the cooking time tremendously. I’m a huge fan of using ground meat in chowmein because each tiny piece of meat soaks up the flavor and there’s a piece in every bite! If you’ve never had lamb before, lamb chowmein a great dish to give it a try. If you’re not a fan of lamb, it can be substituted with ground beef or chicken.
I uploaded a video on my YouTube channel that includes not only 1 but 3 meals that are ready in 30 minutes or less! I shared this Lamb Chowmein, Cabbage and Chicken and Roasted Salmon and Broccoli with my 5 ingredient yellow rice! Be sure to head on over and have a look around and subscribe if you like what you see!
Get the Recipe LAMB CHOWMEIN
- 1 lb ground lamb
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 tbsp mince garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 1 hot pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 - 12 oz package chowmein noodles
- Thinly shredded cabbage, optional
- In a large pan or wok add oil. When oil is hot, add lamb, then add salt and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Be sure break up lamb using a spoon.
- While the meat browns, place a large pot of salted water on the fire and bring to a boil and cook chowmein according to directions on the package. Strain and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic, thyme, pepper and Chinese five spice powder then stir and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until the onion softens. Add ½ cup of water and hoisin sauce to the lamb and cook for about 5 minutes until all the liquid evaporates.
- Add shredded carrots, onions and stir fry for about 2 minutes, don’t overcook!
- Add lamb and vegetable mixture to the chowmein and mix to combine using a tong or large fork.
- Add scallion and black pepper and additional salt if needed.
- Add a tsp of oil to the large frying pan over high heat and add the chowmein. Stir fry for about 2 minutes then remove from heat. Serve with thinly shredded cabbage.