Black Cake With Almond Paste And Icing
It’s almost Christmas and I couldn’t be more excited because this year I am hosting Christmas! We moved in this house 2 years ago and this will be the first time hosting my side of the family. One thing that I’m looking forward to the most is my mom’s Black Cake!! Needless to say this month has been hectic! I’ve been preparing for my family’s arrival as well as trying to stay on top of my kids’ schedules, my work and videos for my YouTube channel (subscribe if you haven’t already. As though Christmas isn’t enough, I have my birthday and my son’s birthday coming up. His birthday is the day after Christmas and I have yet to figure out what I will be doing – I have approximately 10 days to figure it out!
I’ve had a few videos and post that I wanted to share this December and needless to say I didn’t get to all…boo. It was poor planning on my part. I did share a Black Cake Q&A recently answering questions that I frequently receive about making black cake. Head on over and check that out if you haven’t already.
To piggyback off of the Q&A video I decided to share how to make black cake with almond paste and white icing (royal icing). I have gotten a ton of requests for that recipe and it’s super easy. The icing is royal icing made with a splash of lemon juice. I didn’t add lemon juice to mine but I did add a combination of almond and vanilla extracts. I purchased the almond paste rather than making it, I purchased mine on Amazon but you can find it in the cake store or cake section at your local grocery store.
Get the Recipe BLACK CAKE WITH ALMOND PASTE AND ICING
- 1 black cake recipe
- About 10 oz almond paste
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 3 tbsp meringue powder
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 drop almond extract
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- Knead almond paste for a few seconds to form a ball. Roll out on a surface covered with powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Roll about 1/8 inch thick.
- Brush cake with rum or cherry brandy to help almond paste stick to the cake.
- Place almond paste on top of cake.
- Make the royal icing by beating icing sugar, meringue powder, water, almond and vanilla extract together in a bowl until well mixed and fluffy.
- Spread a layer of icing over the almond paste. Let harden before cutting.
Icing recipe adapted from Wilton.