Christmas is around the corner so it’s time to share a new bread recipe for Aniseed Bread. This is the perfect bread to add to your Christmas breakfast! It’s a fairly simple recipe which is similar to my Plait Bread recipe but the dough made with butter and whole aniseed. Adding aniseed to the recipe gives it the bread a mild licorice flavor that goes well with Pepperpot’s deep rich flavors.
Being that it’s the holidays, this is the perfect time to make a beautiful braided bread centerpiece like these. To get this look, the bread is braided then baked in a loaf pan. You can also bake it on a baking pan. There’s nothing like homemade bread so if you’ve never made it before you are in for a treat.
I have a full playlist of Christmas recipe videos on YouTube such as Sponge Cake, Fruit Cake, Black Cake, Sorrel, Ginger beer, and this recipe video as well. If you make this recipe, be sure to share it with me on Instagram.
Get the Recipe ANISEED BREAD
- 2 ¼ tsp dry active yeast
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 2 tsp aniseed
- Place warm milk into a bowl with sugar and yeast, then stir and let sit for about 10 minutes until the yeast appears bubbly.
- Add flour, salt, melted butter and aniseed and knead to combine. Knead for 10 minutes by hand or using a mixer with a dough attachment on low.
- Form into a ball then place in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and place in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes to an hour. After the bread has doubled in size, punch down in the center than place on the counter. Cut bread into 3 equal pieces then roll each piece to desired length; be sure not to roll it too thin. Braid the 3 pieces for form the bread then place in a greased loaf pan.
- Light cover bread with cling wrap and let rise for a second time in a warm place for 35 minutes
- Remove cling wrap and place bread into an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.