Twice Baked Potatoes
Twice Baked Potatoes are the ultimate holiday side dish and a nice variation from traditional mashed potatoes. Crispy potato skins are loaded with creamy cheesy potatoes that’s loaded with bacon – this is one dish everyone is sure to love. What’s great about twice baked potatoes is that it’s easily customizable. Make these ahead of time and store in the fridge or even freeze and then cooked on the day that you plan on serving it. This would be great to serve as part of a buffet since there are already in individual portions. Serve additional toppings such as sour cream, extra bacon bits and scallion.
What type of potatoes can used?
Russet or Baking potatoes work best. The skin is thin and the inside bakes up fluffy. The skin makes a nice sturdy shell for the hearty filling. When you drizzle olive oil and salt on the skin before baking to make it extra crispy and delicious.
How to make this head of time.
This can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen for up to a 3 months. First, prepare the potatoes and stuff the filling into the shells then place into a Ziploc bag and place into fridge.
Can you freeze Twice Baked Potatoes?
- Prepare the potatoes but stop when it’s time to place into the oven the second time.
- Place on a baking pan and freeze for about an hour or two.
- Place potatoes into a freezer bag and store for up to 3 months.
- When ready to eat, thaw for 24 hours in the fridge then top with cheese and then bake in an oven preheated at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Ideas and variations
Broccoli and cheddar
Chives with cream cheese and sour cream
Buffalo chicken, blue cheese and ranch
Ham and cheddar cheese
Scroll down for the video and head to my Youtube channel and subscribe if you haven’t already.
Get the Recipe TWICE BAKED POTATOES
- 4 baking potatoes
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded plus more to top it with
- 2 scallion, green parts finely chopped
- ¼ cup bacon bits
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper
- Scrub potatoes with a brush, and then dry it. Prick the potatoes all over with a fork.
- Place potatoes on a pan then place in oven preheated at 400 degrees then bake for about 1 hour or until soft to touch.
- Remove potatoes and allow to cool slightly the slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out the inside but leaving a thin shell. Place the scooped potato into a bowl with sour cream, heavy cream, cheddar cheese and garlic powder and mash using a fork.
- Add chopped scallion, bacon bits, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Place potato back into the hollowed skins, equally dividing the mix between the 8 shells.
- Top with additional shredded cheese then place in oven that heated to 375 degrees and bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with additional bacon bit and scallion. Serve warm.