Roast Chicken And Vegetables
Roast Chicken and Vegetables is an easy dinner that’s a classic. What’s not to love about tender, juicy chicken that’s packed with flavor and creamy Yukon gold potatoes and carrots that’s cooked to perfection? A simple mix of spices gives this dish a lot of flavor with minimal effort. This roasted chicken dish can be served on its own or with rice dishes like Yellow Rice, Pigeon Peas and Rice, Golden Vegetable Rice or Chickpea Rice.
HOW TO PREPARE THE CHICKEN TO ROAST
Wash the chicken and then pat dry with paper towel. Coast the skin with olive oil, the will make the skin golden and crispy. Rub well with seasoning mix and then let chicken marinate for at least 2 hours, preferable overnight. The longer the chicken is allowed to marinate is the more flavorful it will be.
WHAT PART OF THE CHICKEN CAN YOU USE?
You can use legs, thighs, chicken breast on the bone or a whole chicken. Cooking time will vary depending on the cut of chicken. You may need to cut the vegetables smaller is use chicken breast as it cooks faster than leg quarters.
WHAT VEGETABLES CAN BE USED
Yukon gold potatoes are my favorite potatoes. It’s creamy and makes great mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes and holds doesn’t fall apart in stews. Red potatoes, parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes and onions would also be great. Some vegetables will have a different cooking time so be mindful of that. Sweet potatoes will cook faster than red potatoes so this would work well with a cut of meat that cooks faster like chicken breast.
WHAT TEMPERATURE IS BEST TO ROAST THE CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES
Chicken is best roasted at a higher temperature than 350 degrees. This makes the skin crispy but keeps the inside juicy. Roast chicken between 400-425 degrees is idea. This chicken is roasted at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Cooking time depends on the cut of meat, size of the pieces and the vegetables used. [embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPK33foH_1c[/embedyt]
Get the Recipe ROAST CHICKEN WITH POTATOES AND CARROTS
- 5 chicken leg quarters
- 1 ½ tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- ¾ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground thyme
- ¼ cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 carrots
- In a bowl mix granulated garlic, granulated onion, paprika, ground thyme, cayenne pepper, dried sage, salt and black pepper in bowl.
- Coat chicken with 1 ½ tbsp olive oil and 2/3 of seasoning mix. Cover chicken and let marinate for at least 2-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop potato and onion into large pieces then add to roasting pan. Pour remaining 1 ½ tbsp oil and seasoning over vegetables and mix to coat well.
- Place chicken on top of the vegetables and add thyme sprigs. Place in preheated oven and roast for 45 mins to 1 hour until the chicken is golden brown, the vegetables are tender and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove from oven and serve.