How To Make Tender Pot Roast
Pot Roast is comfort food at its best. Juicy beef, carrots and potatoes are cooked in a rich broth seasoned with rosemary, thyme and garlic. This is an easy meal that requires minimal prep and makes enough to feed a large family. Serve Pot Roast on it’s own, over rice or with Mashed Potatoes.
WHAT CUTS OF BEEF TO USE
Pot Roast is a great way to cook tougher cuts of beef. Chuck roast, round roast and beef brisket works well in this dish. The meat is braised in a broth for a long time which breaks down the tough fibers and transforms it into a succulent, tender piece of meat.
WHICH VEGETABLES TO USE
Because of the long cooking time it is best to use root vegetables like carrots, parsnips and potatoes. Yukon gold or red skin potatoes work best for this dish; they hold their shape even after spending a few hours in the oven.
STEPS TO MAKING POT ROAST
First the roast is seasoned then coated with flour. The flour helps the sauce to thicken as it cooks. Sear the beef on both sides to form a crust.
Cook the vegetables on high heat until the vegetables are a bit charred.
Deglaze the pan with beef broth to remove the stuck on bits. Add beef, vegetables and herbs back to the pan, cover and cook until tender.
METHODS OF COOKING
This can be made in the oven, in a slow cooker or pressure cooked. Cooking time varies depending on the size of your roast. For a 2-3 lb roast, cook in the oven for 2-2 ½ hours. If using a slow cooker, you can add seared beef to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7 hours. Pressure Cook on high for about 45 minutes or until the beef is tender.
MORE BEEF AND SLOWCOOKER RECIPES
Get the Recipe HOW TO MAKE TENDER POT ROAST
- 2-3 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp olive oil
- 2 carrots cut into chunks
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 ½ tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 lb baby Yukon gold potatoes or red potatoes, halved
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 5 sprigs thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season both is sides of beef roast with salt and pepper. Coat both side with flour.
- In a oven safe cast iron pan, add olive oil. When oil is hot, add beef roast and brown on both sides.
- Remove beef roast from the pan and place on a plate. Add carrots, celery, and onion and cook until charred, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from the pan. Add tomato paste, beef broth and Worcestershire and bring to a boil while scraping the bottom of the pan to remove the brown bits.
- Add beef back to the pan and place the vegetables, potatoes, rosemary and thyme around the beef then cover. Place into preheated oven and bake for 2 hours or until beef is easily shredded with a fork.