Vidalia Onion And Bacon Quiche
Spring is in full swing and Vidalia Onions are in season! It also means more entertaining and social gatherings – socially distanced of course! The warmer weather means that we can entertain a few friends or family outdoors safely. To spice things up a bit, throw a Kentucky Derby style party with mint juleps and sweet Vidalia onion recipes.
Vidalia Onions, which will be featured in 5-star recipes at the Kentucky Derby on May 1st, is a sweet onion that’s grown in 20 counties in South Georgia. This sweet onion can be enjoyed in every day recipes such as Vidalia Onion and Potato Au Gratin or in elevated dishes such as this Vidalia Onion and Bacon Quiche. This dish is packed with Vidalia onions and salty bacon which complements the sweetness of the onion. Store-bought pie crust makes this dish super easy to make!
Serve for brunch with tea sandwiches, cheese straws, fruit salad and a festive drink that your guests are sure to love. Whether you are thinking of a small gathering with friends or just the people in your household, Kentucky Derby’s Party Central has tons of ideas and recipes that you can make at home!
Get the Recipe VIDALIA ONION AND BACON QUICHE
- 1 store-bought pie crust
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup gruyere cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place store bought pie crust into a pie dish. Prick the pie crust with a fork then place into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, cook 4 strips of bacon until golden brown and when cool, crumble in to small pieces.
- Cook Vidalia onion in bacon fat for about 5-7 minutes, just until it softens and the edges start to brown.
- In a bowl, mix eggs, milk, salt, black pepper, nutmeg and parsley.
- Layer cheese, bacon and onion in the pie crust then pour the egg mixture over the filling.
- Place into a preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown and the center of the quiche rises.
- Remove from oven and cool before serving.