Corn Soup With Pigtail And Dumplings
Get the Recipe CORN SOUP WITH PIGTAIL AND DUMPLINGS
- 2 salted pigtail cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup split peas
- 8 cups water
- 3 ears corn, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 scallion, chopped
- 1 wiri wiri pepper
- 3 oz coconut cream
- 2 chicken bouillons
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup Flour
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 3 tbsp + 1 tsp milk
- To make the soup: Boil pigtail in water, for 10 minutes to remove excess salt. Repeat process with fresh water, strain and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, place pigtail, split peas, onion, thyme, pepper, garlic, bay leaf and water and bring to a boil.
- Cook until peas are tender and easily crushed when pressed between the fingers.
- Next add corn, scallion, bouillon, black pepper, coconut cream and salt and cook for about 15 minutes. Add dumpling and cover soup. Reduce to a simmer and for 10 minutes, the dumplings will float to the top when done. Remove from heat.
- To make the dumpling: Place flour in a bowl with salt, sugar and baking powder then mix to combine. Using a fork, cut margarine into flour until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Add 1 tsp chopped parsley and milk; using your hands mix to form dough. Roll dough into a log, and then cut into 1 inch pieces. Roll between palms to form the dumplings. Add to soup last 5 minutes of cooking.