Easy Tres Leches Cake With Video
Tres Leches Cake is a moist cake that’s soaked in a sweet milk. This cake is popular in Latin American countries such as Mexico and Columbia and a often served at Mexican restaurants. Tres leches mean three milks – evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream is mixed and poured over the cake to make a sweet, moist cake. Sweetened whipped cream tops this cake and makes it the ultimate dessert.
HOW TO MAKE TRES LECHES CAKE
To make this cake the easy way, start with yellow cake mix or white cake mix. Add a package of instant vanilla pudding mix to the dry cake mix, this gives it a springy texture and will hold it’s shape. Be sure to use instant vanilla pudding mix and not the cook and serve vanilla pudding mix. Mix together a can of evaporated milk, a can of sweetened condensed milk and heavy cream. You can use milk instead of heavy cream or add coconut milk to give it a tropical flavor.
You will need cake mix, instant vanilla pudding and ingredients on the cake box. A can each of evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream to soak the cake.
CAN THIS CAKE BE MAKE AHEAD OF TIME?
This cake gets better the longer it sits. Make it the night before for best results but let it sit for at least six hours because the cake will fully absorb the three milks. Add homemade whipped cream soon after the cake absorbs the milk. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place into the fridge. Store in the fridge to for best results and to keep the whipped cream cool and then top with strawberries when its’ time to serve.
More amazing cake recipes to try:
Get the Recipe TRES LECHES CAKE
- 1 box white or yellow cake mix
- 1 – 3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 12 oz can Evaporated milk
- 14 oz can Condensed milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup strawberry slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl add cake mix, instant vanilla pudding mix, 3 eggs, vegetable and water and mix to combine.
- Spray a 13x9 cake pan then pour cake batter into pan and spread to form an even layer.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for 30-35 until golden brown and springs back to touch.
- In a container mix evaporated milk, condensed milk, ½ cup heavy cream and vanilla and set aside. Reserve the 2 cups of heavy cream.
- Cool cake for 5 minutes then prick the surface using a fork.
- Pour the 3 milk mixture over the entire surface of the cake.
- To make the whipped cream, in a bowl add 2 cups of heavy cream and powdered sugar and whip to form steak peaks (see video).
- Spread heavy cream on the top and the cake then cover with foil and then place into the fridge for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
- Top with sliced strawberries before serving.