Southern Style Collard Greens
Southern Style Collard Greens is one of my favorite thanksgiving dishes. I didn’t grow up eating collard greens and after living in the using for many years and in the South for over 10 years, I’ve grown to love it. I’m shared a Pressure Cooker Collard Greens as well as Collard Greens cooked in Coconut Milk. This southern style collard green is made with smoked turkey wings which packs a ton of flavor. The smoked turkey is cooked until it’s soft enough to be shredded. As it cook the bold and smoky flavor from the wings infused into the broth as well as the collard greens.
This is an easy dish that can be made ahead as well, as a matter of fact, it’s even better when it sits overnight. Make ahead side dishes helps to take some of the stress off of holiday cooking. Dishes like this as well as Macaroni and Cheese, Scalloped Potatoes and desserts like Apple Cobbler or Sweet Potato Pie are ideal to be made ahead. The savory dishes warm up with easy and just makes things easier on the big day.
Get the Recipe SOUTHERN STYLE COLLARD GREENS
- Southern Style Collard Greens
- 3 bunches collard greens
- 2 smoked turkey wing pieces or ham hock
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- In a ninja foodi or instant pot pressure cooker, add oil.
- When oil is hot sauté onion for about 2-3 minutes until soften then add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add smoked turkey wing pieces and chicken broth. Cover and pressure on high for 30 minutes.
Release the steam using the quick release pressure.
- Add collards greens which has been stripped from the stem and cut into 1 inch strips.
Add red pepper flakes and apple cider vinegar.
Place the lid on the pot and pressure cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove smoked turkey from the pot and shred using 2 forks, then place back into the pot.
Release the steam then cook open for an additional 10 minutes until the liquid reduces.