Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Noodle Soup is a warm, comforting dish that’s full of goodness. Noodles, shredded chicken and vegetables such as carrots and celery are simmered in a broth that’s flavored with herbs and spices. Chicken noodle soup is a classic dish that’s great for the upcoming cool fall weather. This is the soup that you make when someone is under the weather and needs to feel good – it warms you up inside and out.
What’s in Chicken Noodle Soup?
Chicken and Noodles are the main components of this soup. They are simmered in a broth with sautéed carrots, onions and celery. A combination of fresh and dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary, dried sage and bay leaf adds loads of flavors to this dish.
What’s the best part of the chicken to use
Whole chicken works well for this dish if you’re making a large pot of soup. However for this recipe, boneless skinless chicken thighs works best for this dish because it doesn’t dry out as it cook. Chicken breast can be used but only if thighs aren’t available. Just be sure to keep an eye on it and not overcook the chicken bread or it can become dry.
Can I use precooked chicken?
Yes, precooked chicken such as rotisserie chicken can be used. It is best to remove as much of the meat as possible, then use the remaining chicken with bones in the broth to add even more flavor. Strip the meat and add it to the soup at the end. Pick any remaining meat on the chicken and add that to the soup as well.
Types of noodles to use
Egg noodles is usually the noodle in chicken noodle soup but other types of pasta can be used such as rotini, macaroni, or other shapes such as orzo or wagon wheel.
Chicken Soup recipes to try
Chicken Soup with Pumpkin and Dumplings
Caribbean Chicken Soup with Corn and Parsley Dumplings
Get the Recipe Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 whole carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp butter
- 64 oz chicken broth
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- Melt butter in pot, then add carrots, celery and onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until slightly charred.
- Add garlic and mix, then cook for another minute then add chicken broth.
- Add thyme, chicken bouillon, rosemary, sage, black pepper and bay leaf.
- Add chicken thighs and then bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low and cover. Cook for 20minutes.
- Remove chicken thighs and allow to cool slightly before shredding. Add egg noodles and cook according to directions. Add cooked chicken and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and stir in chopped parsley.