A last minute trip and a winner!

A nice addition to any Thanksgiving table

I spent last Friday night on the phone with my cousin Kanema who was in NY spending time at my mom’s.  At the same time I was texting my sister Damali who was shopping and having dinner with her girlfriend…I was jealous.  I immediately had an image of my mom, sis, cousin, her brother and her son having a grand ol’ time, laughing and marry making while I was in Georgia…alone.   I knocked back a Captain Morgan and pineapple juice and went off to bed sulking.

A view of NYC from the plane, I love this city!

I woke up on Saturday morning and decided they are not going to have all of this fun without me!!  I threw all my thanksgiving plans out the window and booked a 2 pm flight to NYC.  I left strict instructions with my husband to take all the Thanksgiving ingredients by his mom (no way was he going to cook), packed in a hurry, hugged my doggies and made off to the airport.   So instead of my gourmet 5 course Thanksgiving for 2, I will be probably having a family style buffet 800 miles away from home.  Here’s to spontaneity!

Here are some photos from my trip so far and a recipe for Cranberry Merlot Sauce and the winner of my first giveaway.   Happy Thanksgiving to all!

The winner of the vintage print apron is:

Farrah on November 18, 2010 at 8:00 am (edit)

I am thankful for my family. I have so many blessings in my life, but the one thing that I am the most thankful for is my family. Your story was very inspiring….what an amazing thing to do on Thanksgiving day.

On the train to the city

Pork Dumplings at Chef Yu, yum!

Crispy scallion pancakes, loved it!

General Tso’s chicken for my sister.

Delicious Mango Prawns for me.

A beautiful carrot flower decorated our plates.

Merlot gives this sauce it’s deep dark color

Cranberry Merlot Sauce

1 12 oz bag fresh cranberries

1 cup Merlot

1 cup sugar

4 cloves

1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

zest of 1 tangerine or orange

1/2 cup water

Place all ingredients in a pot over a medium fire.  Stir.  Allow to cook for 20-25 minutes.  Remove from fire and allow to cool before serving.

1. November 24, 2010 / 1:24 pm

I adore your spontaneity and hope you have a memorable time with your family. That’s what holidays are all about and I applaud your efforts to be with them.

Now about this Cranberry Merlot sauce…looks fantastic! Must smell wonderful and taste even better with that deep merlot flavor and tang of the cranberries. Thanks for sharing and happy holidays to you.

2. Aaliyah
    November 25, 2010 / 10:40 am

Hi Jehan,

Thanks for all the nice recipes. I tried the cheese pie, an my hubby loved them. He keeps asking me to make more!

I was just wondering if you make Pepperpot for Christmas? I am interested to see what you add into your pepperpot when you make it.

Happy Holidays!

November 26, 2010 / 9:08 am

Aaliyah I so happy that you and your hubby enjoyed my recipe. I plan on posting a Pepperpot recipe soon, so keep checking.

4. November 27, 2010 / 9:51 pm

Hi Jehan,

I know the feeling of being jealous and wanting to be with your family, I drove 6 hours from Rochester to be in Queens, Ny for Thanksgiving just b/c I didn’t want to be alone! I am curious to see your pepperpot recipe as well. I am waiting to get my dads recipe so I can post it to my blog also….can’t wait for Christmas, so many delicious foods to make, so little time! Hope your Thanksgiving turned out wonderful!

Alica

5. November 27, 2010 / 10:04 pm

Cheers to your spontaneity! Yes, Thanksgiving is partly about the food, but I agree that it’s primarily about the time we spend and whom we spend it with. And the cranberry recipe looks rich and tangy. I cannot get enough of them–wish they were available all year.

6. December 1, 2010 / 7:39 am

Woohoo! I’m all for spontaneity and it seems like you had a great time filled with good food! Awesome.