CASSAVA PONE

Pone-1-6    Pone-1-10Let me start by saying I was never a lover of cassava pone.   It wasn’t the taste that was the issue, it was the texture.  I absolutely loved the crispy ends and bottom, but when it came to the thick, gel-like middle I would shy away from it.Pone-1-12

Pone-1-11After years of not eating cassava pone, I decided to give it a second chance and had a light bulb moment.   Instead of making a thick pone, similar to cake, simple make thin bars.   This would ensure that there would be a higher ratio of crispy, crunchy edges to middle.  Pone-1-31

This is how cassava pone should be made.  Needless to say I could not stop snacking on these sweet little squares of perfection as taste of brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon danced across my tongue.   Whether thick or thin, the flavor is outstanding.

How do you prefer your cassava pone?  Thick or thin?

Pone-1-7

Cassava Pone

2 cups grated cassava

1 cup fresh grated coconut

1 cup brown sugar

4 tbsp melted butter

½ cup milk

¼ tsp ground nutmeg

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp fresh ground ginger

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well to combine.   Pour into a greased 9 inch pie or cake pan.   For a thicker pone use a smaller pan.   Place into preheated oven and bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown.

Make sure to follow me on Facebook and Instagram.

1. February 17, 2014 / 7:27 am

THANK YOU!! My parents always thought I was weird but I never like the texture either, I’ll try it your way

2. Bernice
    February 17, 2014 / 9:22 am

I will try this recipe today!

3. February 23, 2014 / 2:09 pm

you’re back! hooray! i came to your site looking for a brown chicken stew/fricassee recipe today (will try your chicken stew w. butter beans). i was ‘home’ in Miami for the holidays and my aunt and uncle were visiting from Bermuda and brought a Cassava Pone. they’ll be excited for me to share this post with them!

4. Melissa B.
    November 10, 2014 / 7:58 pm

Is it possible to use frozen shredded coconut?

November 12, 2014 / 10:43 am

Melissa, I haven’t tested this recipe using frozen coconut so I cannot answer that.

6. Carole
    March 25, 2015 / 3:07 pm

This looks yummy. I have a small gathering for a few Guyanese folks at my church next weekend and I will try your recipe just to bring back that flavor to their taste buds. What other fantastic dish, something savory, do you think I could take to them that will have that same sort of ‘blow their minds’ taste of home. They are vegetarians.

7. Philisha
    October 13, 2015 / 9:54 am

Hi Jehan,

Just came across your blog and I love, love, love it!

For the cassava pone am I preheating the oven to 350 Fahrenheit or Celsius?

October 14, 2015 / 10:22 am

Hi Philisha, thank you for stopping by! It’s 350 celsius.

9. Satie Mahadeo
    February 7, 2017 / 4:54 am

Yes…your recipe calls for wayyy less milk…Will update with result…I can taste it already..thanks