Guyanese Baked Custard
Baked Custard is a popular dessert in Guyana. Guyana does not have a lot of desserts in its cuisine but this is certainly one of my favorite. This classic needs just a few ingredients to produce a silky decadent dessert. Baked custard can be served at room temperature or straight out of the fridge, either way it’s just as good. I like a thicker, richer custard so I added more eggs than typically used – it’s less watery and simply heavenly. It’s been a few years since I’ve made baked custard but it’s just as good as I remember. Do you make Baked Custard at home?
Get the Recipe BAKED CUSTARD
- 3 cups evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs and add evaporated milk and condensed milk to eggs.
- Stir in vanilla and nutmeg. Strain by pouring the mixture through a strainer into greased baking dish and sprinkle grated nutmeg over top.
- Place the pan in a larger pan filled with water and bake for 1 hour.
- Carefully remove from the oven and remove from the pan of water and cool.
- Can be served at room temperature or cold.