Vegan Cornmeal Porridge
Cornmeal porridge is a fairly common breakfast food in the Guyana and the Caribbean. It makes a great breakfast because it’s filling and will keep you going until your next meal. Usually it is made with milk and sometimes condensed milk but my husband has been requesting vegan meals lately so I decided to make a vegan version for him. He’s used to having it with lots of sweetened condensed milk which makes it super rich and oh so good but I swapped it out with coconut cream to add richness and brown sugar for sweetness. He absolutely loves the flavor that the coconut milk adds and doesn’t miss the classic version! Cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla add warmth and depth to the flavor and takes it over the top.
Get the Recipe VEGAN CORNMEAL PORRIDGE
- ½ cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 3 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup coconut milk or cream
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- Brown sugar to taste
- Place cornmeal in a bowl and add 1 cup of water while stirring until smooth; set aside.
- Place remaining 2 cups of water and salt in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add cornmeal and water mixture while stirring. Stir in coconut milk or cream and cinnamon.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook on low heat while stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, stir in grated nutmeg, vanilla extract and brown sugar.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving.