Rib Tip Chowmein
Rib Tip Chowmein is one of those dishes that are a combination of my favorite things. Growing up in NYC, Chinese food was a big part of our lifestyle. As teenagers, it was a popular choice for when we wanted a quick meal because it was pretty inexpensive and tasty. My favorite order was roast pork fried rice with half fried chicken or with rib tips! Now I no longer live in NYC so I make my own rib tips at home. One day I got the brilliant idea to make a rib tip chowmein and was completely blown away – it was one of the tastiest versions of chowmein that I’ve ever had.
I’ve made these quite a bit and even shared it a few times on Instagram and I’ve always gotten requests for the recipe, so I decided it’s time to share it! Its super easy, as most of my recipes tend to be, and it is so good! I’ve also included a video for this recipe so be sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel and give this video a thumbs up. If you make this rib tip chowmein be sure to share a photo and tag me on Instagram.
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO AND RECIPE
Get the Recipe RIB TIP CHOWMEIN
- 2 lbs rib tips
- 3 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 star anise
- 3 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1 ¾ cup water
- 12 oz chowmein noodles
- 1 carrot, cut into fine strips
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 3 scallion finely chopped
- Place rib tips in a bowl and add 3 tsp dark soy sauce, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes, star anise, hoisin sauce and brown sugar. Marinate for at least an hour.
- In a pan over high heat, add oil and sauté rib tip for about 5 minutes, browning on both sides. Add water and bring to a boil. Lower heat then cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until rib tips are tender.
- While the ribs tips cook, place a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Add chowmein noodles and cook according to the directions on the package. Strain and set aside.
- After 30 minutes, remove lid and add carrots to the rib tips and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add rib tip mixture to the chowmein along with Chinese five spice powder, soy sauce and scallion and mix to combine.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the pan that the rib tips were cooked in and sauté chowmein noodles for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with more scallion.