This post is sponsored by Kroger. All opinions are my own. #KrogerThanksgiving #KrogerCollective
Thanksgiving is just around the corner and by this time most of us have already planned out our menu. I’ve usually plan my thanksgiving and Christmas menu since September because I’m that excited about the all the food! Most of us have already decided what our main dish will be – we usually skip turkey, so we are having Cornish hens this year. Side dishes are already planned and who will be making what is already decided. The desserts are already planned and delegated as well but what about appetizers?
Most people plan for the meal but forget about appetizers! Appetizers are just as important as the main course because guests will arrive sometimes a few hours before dinner and having something to munch on helps to keep the hunger at bay while you’re busy preparing the meal. Kroger has a great selection of groceries and fresh produce that can help you prepare entire meal and in-store pickup and delivery makes it easy to grocery shop or grab any last minute ingredients that you might need.
Appetizers are not just for guests but for host as well! How many times have you been stuck in the kitchen cooking all the delicious food but you’re starving and there’s nothing to munch on? Appetizers or snacks are the pregame to the main event (the big meal) and Kroger has you covered with everything that you need to execute your menu from start to finish.
Because you are busy making the turkey, it’s best to make appetizers that are easy and can be made ahead of time. Cheese platters make great appetizers because they require no cooking, can be made ahead of time and are easy to make. Kroger has a wide selection of cheeses, cured meats and fresh fruits that are perfect for any cheese tray. They also have a great selection of ready to bake appetizers like spanakopita triangles and hatch chili and cheese puff which you can pop into the oven and ready to serve in just a few minutes!
Another great option is Sausage Rolls which can be made ahead of time and are sure to be a hit with guests. What’s great about this recipe is that it’s just a few ingredients, is super easy to make and you can bake it ahead of time and pop it in the oven to warm when guests arrive! Sausage rolls, a British favorite, are made of sausage wrapped up in pastry…think of it as a grown up pigs in a blanket. Using store bought puff pastry not only makes it easy but buttery and delicious! Sausage rolls can be served as is or with a grainy mustard. Dried cranberries were added to the sausage along with herbs and freshly ground pepper to give it both freshness and make it festive.
Get the Recipe SAUSAGE ROLLS
- 14 oz Simple Truth Turkey Sausage
- ¾ tsp dried sage
- 1 ½ tsp chopped parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped dried cranberries
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- Place turkey sausage, sage, parsley, dried cranberries and black pepper in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Remove puff pastry sheets from the freezer and defrost according to directions on the package.
- Gently roll puff pastry to about 1/8 inch in thickness.
- Beat egg yolk with water and set aside.
- Place sausage on the long end of the puff pastry and roll to form long, seal ends using egg wash. Cut off excess pastry.
- Place on a baking pan and place into fridge for about 30 minutes until the pastry firms up, this makes it easier to cut.
- Remove from fridge and cut into 1 to 1 ½ inch pieces using a knife. Place about 2 inches apart on a baking sheet pan and brush with egg wash.
- Place in an oven preheated to 375 degrees and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and the sausage has cooked through.
- Cool before serving.