Savory Chicken Stew + Video
I’ve made thousands of chicken stews and tons of different versions. While there the classic, well known Brown Stewed Chicken, there are so many ways to make it. I’ve shared different versions over the years like Jerk Stewed Chicken and Tomato Chicken Stew and today I’m sharing a Savory Chicken Stew recipe and video.
This is a fairly simple recipe made with common ingredients that most of us tend to have on hand. This Savory Chicken Stew gets its color from soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce versus the burnt sugar that is used in Brown Stewed Chicken. For the vegetables I used a combination of carrots and bell peppers but you can also use potatoes.
I’ve also added a video on my YouTube channel so be sure to subscribe and click the bell (if you haven’t already) so that you can stay up to day on new videos. While you’re there be sure to check out my other videos.
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEO AND RECIPE
Get the Recipe SAVORY CHICKEN STEW
- 4 chicken leg quarter, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp all purpose seasoning
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp dried thyme, you can also use fresh thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 2 carrots cut into pieces
- 1 chicken bouillon
- Water to cover
- 2 wiri wiri pepper
- Season chicken with ginger, garlic, all purpose seasoning, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme and black pepper then stir to combine. Let marinate for at least 4 hours.
- To a large pot over high heat, add oil. When oil is hot, add chicken and sauté for about 15 minutes. When liquid had reduced, add tomato paste, bay leaf, onion, pepper, carrots, bouillon and wiri wiri pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, and then add enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and then cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and thickened and the vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, cilantro or scallion. Serve with rice.