Chicken Soup With Sweet Potatoes And Pumpkin
Fall is soup and stew season and that’s what’s been on the menu lately. The weather has been cool and rainy so it’s perfect for warm, filly meals like Chicken Soup with Pumpkin and Sweet Potatoes. Here are some other soups to enjoy this fall:
Beef Soup with Cornmeal Dumplings
Get the Recipe CHICKEN SOUP WITH PUMPKIN AND SWEET POTATO -- CLONED
Chicken soup with pumpkin, sweet potatoes, carrots and spinner dumplings.
- 2 cups Caribbean Pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups white sweet potato, boniato, peeled and cut
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 wiri pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 chicken breast on the bone or 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Chopped parsley or scallion to garnish
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt and sugar
- ¼ cup water
- In a large stock pot over medium fire, melt margarine. Add onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes until soft. Sprinkle salt and pepper on chicken breast then add to pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots, chicken stock, thyme, bay leaf and wiri pepper then stir. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken and then shred using two forks then set aside.
To make dumplings place flour, salt, sugar and water in a bowl and mix to form a stiff dough then pinch off small pieces of dough and roll between palms to form an elongated dumpling.
Add dumplings to soup, then cook for an additional 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Do not peep! Remove from
heat, add shredded chicken. Sprinkle chopped parsley or scallion before serving.