Sweet and Spicy Meatballs
Asian cuisine is renowned for its bold flavors and diverse ingredients, and one dish that never fails to impress is Sweet and Spicy Asian meatballs. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party, a family gathering, or just craving a savory snack, these flavorful meatballs are sure to be a hit. In this blog post, we’ll explore a delicious recipe for sweet and spicy Asian meatballs, packed with aromatic spices and served with a tantalizing sauce. Get ready to elevate your appetizer game with these mouthwatering treats!
To create these delectable sweet and spicy meatballs, you’ll need a variety of ingredients that come together to form a symphony of flavors. Here’s what you’ll need:
– Ground meat (pork and beef)
– Garlic, minced
– Ginger, grated
– Green onions, finely chopped
– Soy sauce
– Water chestnuts
– red pepper flakes
– Panko breadcrumbs
How to Make the Meatballs
Now that you have all your ingredients gathered, it’s time to start preparing the meatballs. Follow these simple steps for delicious results:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat, chopped water chestnuts, minced garlic, grated ginger, chopped green onions, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, egg and breadcrumbs. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Once the mixture is well combined, use your hands to roll it into small, bite-sized meatballs. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, making sure to leave some space between each one.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. While the meatballs are baking, you can prepare the sauce for the meatballs.
How to Make the Sauce
The sauce is what takes these sweet and spicy Asian meatballs to the next level, adding an extra layer of flavor and complexity. Here’s how to make it:
– Soy sauce
– Duck sauce
– BBQ Sauce
– Brown sugar
– Ginger, grated
- In a small saucepan, combine soy sauce, duck sauce, BBQ sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, water and grated ginger. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Once the sauce has thickened, reduce the heat to a low and add cooked meatballs. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
How to make meatballs in a slow-cooker
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs in the slow cooker, ensuring they are evenly covered.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours or on high heat for 1-2 hours, or until the meatballs are cooked through and tender.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, make a cornstarch slurry by mixing 1 tbsp. cornstarch and 1 tbsp. water in a small bowl. Add the slurry to the slow cooker, stirring gently to thicken the sauce.
- Once the meatballs are cooked and the sauce has thickened, garnish with sliced green onions before serving.
How to serve as cocktail meatballs or dinner
- As an appetizer: serve the sweet and spicy meatballs hot, with toothpicks or small skewers for easy eating. Watch as your guests devour these irresistible appetizers with gusto!
- As a main dish: serve over hot rice or with a vegetable such as roasted broccoli or garlic green beans for a complete meal.
These Asian meatballs are the perfect appetizer for any occasion, from casual get-togethers to formal events. With their bold flavors and tender texture, they’re sure to be a crowd-pleaser every time. Plus, with this simple recipe, you can easily whip up a batch whenever the craving strikes. So go ahead, give these delicious sweet and spicy meatballs a try, and prepare to impress your friends and family with your culinary skills!
Other meatball recipes to try
Get the Recipe Asian Meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 3 scallion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Bbq Sauce
- 1/4 cup soysauce
- 1/4 cup duck sauce
- 3 tsp crushed ginger
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Don’t over mix. Pinchoff about 2 tablespoon of mixture and gently roll into a meatball.
- Place beef, pork, water chestnut, garlic, ginger, scallion, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, panko break crumbs (or regular breadcrumbs) and egg in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Place on a sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Place all of the ingredients for the sauce in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Stir to combine, then cook until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add baked meatballs to the sauce and heat until it begins to bubble, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 25minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving. Garnish with chopped scallion and serve with rice or as an appetizer.