GUYANESE GARLIC PORK

Guyanese Garlic pork is best described as pickled pork that’s traditionally served as part of a breakfast on Christmas.  It’s seasoned with lots of garlic, thyme and pepper then pickled in vinegar which give it an intense flavor.

Guyanese Garlic Pork

I’ve updated this recipe and added a video since I’ve had many requests over on Instagram.    Guyanese Garlic pork is best described as pickled pork that’s traditionally served as part of a breakfast on Christmas along with Pepperpot.  It is seasoned with lots of garlic, thyme and hot pepper and placed in vinegar.  It is then left to pickle, some make it weeks ahead but it can be ready as soon as four days.   You can use any cut of pork, though I would recommend to use something with a little bit of fat such as pork shoulder.

Guyanese Garlic Pork

Once the pork has been seasoned, it is then place into a jar and stored away for a few days or up to a few weeks.  Some people make a large amounts of garlic pork and take a much as they need and cook it throughout the holiday season.  Guyanese Garlic pork can be fried, baked or steamed.  Some like to steam it in the liquid for an even more intense garlicky, vinegary flavor.  This is best served with bread and can be breakfast or an appetizer.

1. December 22, 2010 / 10:23 pm

Pork is my favorite meat, esp the fatty parts… I like it lean as much as I do with a nice rim of fat too… esp in Ramen = ) Looks super.

2. December 22, 2010 / 10:27 pm

I can taste this in my mouth right now! I am going to give this recipe to my dad to make for us on Christmas! Thank you!!!!

3. December 23, 2010 / 1:13 pm

Is this a new look for your blog? I love it about as much as I love garlic pork…okay so maybe I love garlic pork more. My grandad made the best garlic pork. You have me seriously regretting that I did not make any this year.

Author
    December 23, 2010 / 4:03 pm

Thank you! I changed my blog a few months ago. What’s Christmas without garlic pork??? Get to it!! Well, maybe you won’t have it in time for Christmas, but it will be just as good on any other day.

5. kisskadee
    December 23, 2010 / 7:00 pm

Pickled pork was brought to Guyana by Portuguese immigrants. Traditionally, it is not made with cider vinegar and does not have onions. The bread is fried in the drippings from the pork fat.

Author
    December 23, 2010 / 7:04 pm

Hi Kisskadee, I substituted apple cider vinegar because it is less acidic than white vinegar, and I added the onions to bring a bit of sweetness to a dish that’s quite sour. As for the bread being fried, thanks for teaching me something new!! I will have to try that in the future.

7. foluso
    September 3, 2012 / 10:26 am

great recipe!
    what cut of pork do you use?
    thank you.

Author
    September 3, 2012 / 3:04 pm

Hi Foluso, I used pork chops.

9. Ann
    December 12, 2012 / 9:27 am

Hi Jehan, I really enjoy all of your receipes, ple4ase send me a receipe to make coconut buns. thank u,

10. lelawatie
    December 20, 2012 / 7:06 am

Can I use pork loin?

Author
    December 23, 2012 / 12:57 pm

Yes, you can use a pork loin if you chose .

12. roy peters
    December 1, 2013 / 6:31 pm

jehan I think u will need a bit more garlic to give that recipe some more zip. Great anyhow. O ne of the dishes I truly enjoyed at Christmas as a boy was fried brains of the pig.Ur grandpa used to slaughter pigs and sell the meat to supplement his income and I ate every part of that animal and girl that is the sweetest meat on earth.Anything cooked with pork is very tasty.Continue to enjoy.

13. Ro_belle_ita@yahoo.ca
    December 14, 2015 / 12:25 pm

Hi. Is it better to use pork shoulder or leg ? Not sure what I used last year but it was too fat .

Dave

Author
    December 15, 2015 / 2:32 pm

Ro_belle you can use a learner cut like pork loin if you like. It’s your preference.

15. Mel
    December 23, 2015 / 12:35 am

I don’t eat pork. Can I substitute with chicken?

Author
    January 2, 2016 / 12:35 pm

I wouldn’t recommend using chicken. Someone stated that lamb is a nice substitute.

17. Debbie Mathias
    December 17, 2016 / 3:45 pm

My dads family is from Guyana , and they cooked the pork in the ingredients, cooled then put in jars. Anyone else do it this way?

Author
    December 18, 2016 / 3:30 pm

Debbie, I’ve never had it this way, thanks for sharing.

19. Cherie
    December 21, 2016 / 5:07 pm

Why does My garlic turns blue in the container ??

20. Ronda
    December 31, 2016 / 2:07 pm

Hi J. I often use many of your recipes and I enjoy them tremendously. The results are always awesome. However, I found that this recipe did not live up to my expectations although I followed your instructions to the T. The meat had a strong vinegar flavor and not much of a garlic flavor. When I consulted some of my older Guyanese pals about my delimna I was told that I needed to let the meat cure for a much longer time. They also said I didn’t need the salt as the vinegar would provide such and I also needed to add clove. What do you think? What could I have done wrong? And is it true that the meat should be left to turn a pinkish hue before frying? Mine was still very white.

Author
    January 5, 2017 / 10:35 am

Ronda, you can soak it for as long as you need if you feel as though the garlic flavor isn’t strong enough. Some people soak it for up to 2 weeks, I find it to be too strong for my personal preference. Vinegar has no salt in it but yo can try it both ways and see which one you like.

Author
    January 5, 2017 / 10:50 am

Cherie sorry for the late reply, the garlic shouldn’t turn blue. I haven’t had that happen when I’ve made it…I will ask around and see why that is.