Apple Puff Pastry Hand Pies
Savor the sweet symphony of flavors with our Apple Puff Pastry Hand Pies. These delightful treats combine the buttery, flaky perfection of puff pastry with a luscious apple filling, all crowned with a heavenly frosting. I’ll show you step by step, ensuring your hand pies turn out perfectly every time. Whether for a cozy family gathering or a special occasion, these hand pies are sure to steal the show. Get ready to embark on a culinary journey that will leave you and your loved ones craving for more.
What I love about these Apple Puff Pastry Hand Pies is how easy it is to make without having to sacrifice on flavor. Store-bought puff pastry is one of the few frozen items that’s almost as good as freshly made. It’s a quick and easy shortcut to making delicious pastry dessert or savory items at home.
The Symphony of Flavors
These Apple Puff Pastry Hand Pies are a delightful fusion of crisp, golden puff pastry and a sweet, cinnamon-kissed apple filling. This combination creates a harmony of textures and tastes that will leave you wanting more. Granny smith apples are perfect for this recipe. Topped with a delectable frosting, these hand pies are a masterpiece of dessert creation.
The Perfect Puff Pastry
Achieving the ideal puff pastry is key to crafting exceptional hand pies. While you can certainly make your own, store-bought puff pastry of good quality can work wonders too. Ensure it’s thawed properly, handle it gently, and let it chill as needed to maintain its buttery, flaky texture. This way, your hand pies will boast that signature golden, airy crust that is the hallmark of a perfect puff pastry creation.
Making the Apple Filling
The heart of our hand pies lies in the apple filling. Choose a variety of apples known for their crispness and flavor, such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp. Peel, core and chop apples and then toss them with a medley of cinnamon and brown sugar. This combination imparts a balanced sweetness and a touch of tart that marries beautifully with the buttery pastry. Cook the filling until the apples are tender yet maintain a slight bite, ensuring a delectable texture that contrasts perfectly with the pastry.
How to make the frosting
To elevate these hand pies to a truly indulgent level, a luscious frosting is a must. Our simple yet luxurious frosting recipe combines powdered sugar, a touch of milk – you can also add a hint of vanilla extract. The result is a creamy, sweet glaze that complements the slightly tart apple filling exquisitely. Drizzle it generously over the cooled hand pies, allowing it to cascade down the sides, creating an irresistible visual appeal. The frosting not only adds a delightful sweetness but also provides a glossy finish that entices the eyes as much as the taste buds.
What to serve with it
Serve these Apple Puff Pastry Hand Pies warm or at room temperature. They make a stunning dessert for gatherings, and individual servings ensure everyone gets a perfect bite. Whether enjoyed with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, these hand pies are sure to become a favorite. Get ready to witness the joy these hand pies bring to your table, creating memories that will be cherished for years to come.
Other Puff Pastry and Apple Recipes
- Guava and Cheese Puff Pastry
- Sausage Rolls
- Turkey and Potato Puffs
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Apple Crumb Cake
- Apple Cobbler
Get the Recipe Apple Puff Pastry Hand Pie
- 3 granny smith apples
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp water
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Peel, core and dice apples. Place in a small pot with cinnamon, brown sugar and butter. Cook until the apples have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for an additional minute, until the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat then allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Defrost puff pastry according to directions on the package.
- Roll out puff pastry sheet on a floured surface and 1 inch in each direction. Cut into 6 equal pieces. Place 1/6th of apple filling in the center.
- Whip egg and water to make an egg wash. Brush the ends of the puff pastry with egg wash, then place another piece of puff pastry on top to form the pie.
- Press the ends together using a fork to seal. Cut 2 slits into the puff pastry on top. Place on a baking sheet pan and brush the tops with egg wash. Repeat using the remainder of puff pastry and apple filling.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 mins or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before topping with frosting
- Mix powdered sugar with milk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled pies and allow to harden before serving,